May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

14 Feb 2021 16:51 #33655 by Charlotte
:dry: I'm pretty sure I've gone directly to add mesh - cylinder (and cube and whatever else I've tried) and not been able to alter anything but their size... But I'll try again. Thanks Banj

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Feb 2021 16:57 #33656 by Banj
The vertices number in this panel when you click the Add Cylinder thing in the bottom left changes the number of sides.

Attachments:

14 Feb 2021 17:11 - 14 Feb 2021 17:12 #33657 by Charlotte
oooh I found it. That was a discreetly minimized thing! I never even noticed its existence before!

14 Feb 2021 17:13 #33658 by Charlotte
OK, so.... uh now that box disappeared and it's not just minimized. So if I change my mind, how do I open it again??? :dumb:

14 Feb 2021 17:15 #33659 by Charlotte
and now it only wants to extrude the sides, not the top :stare:

14 Feb 2021 17:21 #33660 by Banj

OK, so.... uh now that box disappeared and it's not just minimized. So if I change my mind, how do I open it again??? :dumb:

You don't. If you click somewhere else you have committed to the mesh you created as far as I know.

As for the extrusion, did you select the face you wanted to extrude and nothing else?

14 Feb 2021 17:28 - 14 Feb 2021 17:32 #33661 by Charlotte
I can't select the face. It selects the vertical edges of the cylinder or just vertices, and I've tried to set things to faces instead of vertices or edges and I dunno - I just don't get it. :(

If I could see the code all I'd need is to enter a blasted coordinate. :pout:

Well, I have a headache, my cats are annoying, a friend is stating the obvious (while a couple of others haven't responded at all to a text I sent), Banished just crashed on me when I had decided I actually WOULD play and Blender/bforartist is just making me feel stupid and I feel like clawing something. All in all, not a good evening. Probably time for a Netflix break... and maybe some food :dry:

EDIT - and apparently I have to select each and every vertix vertice? verticises? and then I could actually extrude the shape and then... I guess I right clicked because it all went undone again. *sigh*

14 Feb 2021 17:58 - 14 Feb 2021 18:07 #33662 by Banj
Crappy quality recording, and I chopped the end off as I started clutzing around trying to work out how to orient the gizmo to the selection, so I didn't carry on any further (I am not a Blender user).

EDIT - I should mention I was using Maya style navigation/shortcuts, not native Blender ones. And some of the button presses are due to me clicking buttons by accident as I'm used to modeling in Modo (which uses entirely different shortcuts).

14 Feb 2021 18:31 #33664 by Charlotte
Aw I almost love you! :heart:
So there was another place to decide whether to select vertices or faces. Just seems to me you should be able to click a face to select a face and a vertice (what the heck is the singular of vertices?) when I want to select a vertix (or whatever :stare: at stoopid word)

Ok, I seem to be doing a wee bit better. Only managed to extrude along the vertical axis and not sure how to select the cross sections for further transforms but I'll look again.
Thank you :)

14 Feb 2021 18:35 - 14 Feb 2021 18:37 #33665 by Banj
Single Verttex, multiple Vertices. Anyone that says Vertice for a single vertex should be publicly stoned :shakefist: :stare:

While in edit mode you can press 1,2, or 3 to choose the component selection type (1=verts/points, 2=edges, 3=polys/faces) instead of clicking the icons.

You can double click an edge to select an entire loop, or drag a marquee over them (No idea how to select through to back facing components)